Check out a DIY project from one of our readers, Robyn Caruso from New Jersey!
For years I’ve wanted to make my OwN American Flag out of a fence, but always pushed it to the end of my to do list. Robynn recently posted her inspiration for making an American Flag and that was all it took to get me going. With my little ones birthdays both approaching this summer, I am feeling the need to “fReeZe” time and just take in every minute of them being little. My idea for my flag included their little HanDprinTs so that in years to come we can look back and remember how special this time was. Next came a trip to Home Depot where I convinced the lumber crew to cut down a broken fence that originally cost $24 into the size that I wanted. I walked out of the store sMiliNg ear to ear after they rang it up for $4.04! I guess it’s not every day they have a mommy on a crafting kick with 2 toddlers throwing fishies out of a double stroller in the lumber department! I got home and went through my stash of paint and got to work.
Picture #1 – My son Nicholas helping me sand all of the edges.
Picture #2 – Nicholas concentrating on painting the field of blue.
Picture #3 – I used painters tape to keep the colors from running together and then imprinted Nicholas handprints on the first and third rows of blue.
Picture #4 – Mommy and Nicholas.
Picture #5 – Abby gets her turn on the second and fourth rows of blue.
Picture #6 – Painting the year, kid’s names, and ages on the back of the flag.
Picture #7 – After the names were finished I sprayed the front and back of the flag with an indoor/outdoor sealer and was ready to tie the rope through the metal screw eyes that I screwed into the top of the flag.
Picture #8 – My finished keepsake flag!
Thank you Robyn for sharing this with all our friends on the SuedeSofa!!
~Lara & Robynn
Filed under DIY, RANDO•RAMA
Adirondack chairs are really popular these days and it seems like the going rate for these chairs is around $250 a piece. I really wanted to get two white chairs, but didn’t want to pay $500 so I began looking around. Here’s what I found:
These nice wood chairs were $99 from Home Decorators. Their website is www.homedecorators.com They were a cinch to put together.
If you don’t mind doing a little painting, these wood chairs from Home Depot are a steal for $29.88. You can find them at www.homedepot.com
I was looking for a couple of chairs for a tree grove in front of my house and these plastic Adirondack chairs from Walmart were perfect. The white and red chairs were $15 and the blue chair was $14.
Enjoy the view!
WiN a $50 Gift Card to HoMe DePoT in our HGBV CoNteSt!!
- Contest begins on Wednesday, May 4, 2011 and ends at midnight on Friday, June 3, 2011.
- Submit a DIY (Do It Yourself) before and after picture of a space (indoor or outdoor) you have transformed. Submit your pictures via email to email@example.com
- Give a brief description on why we should chose your transformation (for example, “I transformed my space on less than $100!”, “All the furniture came from garage sales.” , “I transformed the uglest room ever!”)
- Participants may submit more than one entry.
- We will announce the five finalists on Monday, June 6, 2011. “Before and After” pictures of each finalist’s space will be posted on the Suede•Sofa blog. Readers can cast their vote by midnight on Friday, June 10, 2011.
- The winner will be announced on Saturday, June 11, 2011 and will receive a $50 Home Depot gift card.