A couple of weeks ago my husband had made the oBserVation on how I don’t put things away when I am done using them. I responded the way I always do, “It’s because the kids probably distracted me when I was getting ready to clean up”.
That conversation tugged on me for a week. Was there tRuTh behind my husband’s observation of my untidiness? I decided I would test myself and see. After making a point to break this habit for a week, the answer is YES. I have been hIdiNg behind the excuse of the kids, and I never knew it. Not only did I realize that Doug was right (see my “Tastes like vinegar” post), but it has actually made my life easier. I don’t have as much to pick up at night and I feel more organized during the day. Now, don’t get me wrong—my house is not spotless because I don’t spend all day picking up after the kids. BUT, if I get it out, I put it away when I am finished!
It was hard to admit that Doug was right, but I did what all wives should do (no matter how bad it tastes!) and thanked him. Sometimes people tell us things that hurt, but after we have time to cool off, we should try to see if there is some truth to what they are saying. It was worth the pain knowing that Doug loves me enough to hold me aCcouNtabLe so I can be a better ME. If I’m not willing to allow my spouse to hold me accountable then who will? The truth hurts, but let’s be honest, being stubborn gets you nowhere.
Live-It List Hidden Question of the Week
What will be the hardest item to achieve on your Live-It list?
Comment below to receive 1 point.
For more details: https://thesuedesofa.com/2011/10/02/win-a-coach-purse-the-details/
The Live-It list challenge if finally here!! Increase your chance to win the purse by doing the following right now!
1.)Sign up for a Email Subscription (see the upper-left side of the page)–5 entries
2.)”Like” us on Facebook (click the facebook “Like” button on the right side of the page)–2 entries
3.) Comment to the question at the bottom of this post. (answer the weekly Live-It list question each week for a total of 9 entries)–1 entry
*If you are already a subscriber or like us on facebook, you will automatically receive the allotted points.
Week 1 Live-It List question: Give 3 examples of “Live It” List Ideas to help Readers Brainstorm their own list, by commenting below. (feel free to use a screen name)
Can you believe that 2011 is almost over! On January 1st the SuEde SoFa will begin the “LiVe It LiSt” challenge!! In case you haven’t read or heard about our “Live It List” challenge, here it is in a NuTsHeLL:
The “Live It List” is sort of like a “BuCkEt LiSt” only with the emphasis on living rather than on dying. Not only does it focus on living life, but living it to the full TODAY, not sometime down the road when circumstances are more ideal. The “Live It List” targets the little things in life that really make the biggest differences such as relationships, fulfilling your purpose, and enjoying life. And if that isn’t exciting enough, the Suede Sofa will give one fortunate reader a brand new Coach purse! You can find out more about the challenge by Clicking Here. But wait!! Before you click for more details what’s on your list?
Here are some ideas to get your imaginations soaring!!
“Live It List” Ideas
- Create a vision board. (A bulletin board with pictures of things that motivate and inspire you)
- Work your way through a cookbook like in the movie “Julia and Julia”
- Take a course from “The Great Courses” (www.thegreatcourses.com)
- Learn to make jewelry, knit a scarf, make pasta, etc. via watching a YouTube tutorial
- Reconnect with an old pen pal
- Do a triathlon
- Volunteer with your child
- Organize a community event
- Photograph old barns or your favorite people/items/animal/scenery
- Start an Etsy business
- Grow herbs
- Start a blog
- Visit your physican and begin a healthy life style
- Carve out 30 minutes a day reserved only for your child/children
- Spend 15 minutes a day praying, meditating, etc.
- Complete “The Love Dare”
- Complete “The Purpose Driven Life”
- Establish a date night once a week with your spouse, significant other, child, friend, or family member
- Change your look
- Do a personal make-over
- Do a home make-over
- Pamper yourself once a week
- Ask an estranged friend/family member if you can “Begin Again”
- Do a random act of kindness once a week
- Learn to decorate a cake
- Plan a weekend get away
- Search for your favorite childhood toys/books/ etc on Ebay
- Send a care package to someone in the military
- Visit the Drive-In, Diners, and Dives in your area (from Food Networks “Drive-Ins, Diners, and Dives” television show)
- Take a dance class with your friend or spouse
- Do a room makeover for under $100
- Start a new family tradition
- Document your family traditions
- Take flight lessons
- Make a piece of furniture
- Hunt for a vintage piece of furniture from a flea market, antique shop, etc.
- Start working on the home-based business you’ve been dreaming of
- Turn a hobby into a business. Need some ideas? Check out this website of hobbies: http://www.notsoboringlife.com/list-of-hobbies/
- Invite friends over for weekly cooking classes hosted by those people who make your favorite foods i.e. have Mom teach how she makes her famous fried chicken, Grandma teach how to make her delicious apple pie, etc.
- Start a collection by going to antique shops, Ebay, garage sales, etc. – vintage cameras, geodes, vintage letters or numbers
- Finally begin pursuing your passion
- Determine what your passion is
- Write thank-you letters to people who have made a difference in your life
- Create a budget that you can live by
- Take Dave Ramsey’s Finanical Peace University course
- Get a puppy
- Do on-line dating
- Finish your bachelor’s/Master’s/Doctorate Degree
- Get a certification in your field
- Take a martial arts class
- Turn one room in your house into one that inspires you
- Create a top 10 list: i.e. Places to visit, Home projects to complete, Friends to get reconnected with, Activities to do, Goals to pursue and complete by Dec 31, Foods to make, etc.
- Make your family’s own personal “Yearbook” by documenting pictures as well as the stories that go with them by going to websites such as: www. shutterfly.com, http://www.Winkflash.com, etc.
- Create a list of eight things you are going to do (one for each week) that is achievable, yet exciting and motivating
- Call your friends/family to say, “I love you”
- Talk to a financial planner and start planning for the future!
- Make your own art gallery
- Get on a travel website and dream
- Find the thing that encourages your imagination and begin dreaming
- Begin writing a book
- Adopt an elderly person or a child to be kind to
- Take your kid fishing
- Take your dad fishing
- Finally read a book that you have been wanting to read
- Visit your hometown
- Reminisce with a childhood friend
- Give blood
- Pay the toll for the car behind you at a toll gate
- Make snow angels after the next big snowfall
- Run for an elected office
- Get a Red-Cross certification in something
- Resurrect an old skill such as playing an instrument, writing poetry, singing, drawing, etc.
- Give away or sell everything you don’t need/use
- Make a difference in oNe LiFe
Sometimes in life you just have to “LaUgH OuT LoUd”. That is, at YoUrSeLf. Stop taking yourself so SeRiOuS (and trying to impress people) and just roll with it.
This happened to Lara and I a few months ago. We were trying something new on our blog – using a SmArTpHoNe to record a video. We really don’t do many videos of ourselves and are trying to branch out to help our readers take a PeEk at our everyday lives. In an attempt to video ourselves and then transfer the videos to YoUtUbE, we (or should I say, I) inadvertantly submitted our videos to Facebook and didn’t realize it until 16 hours later. One of those videos was the “SuRpRiSe” announcement (the “Live It List” challenge prize – a Coach purse) that was not to be “AiReD” until a week later. Fortunately, I realized the mistake and only 6 viewers were PriVy to that announcement before I took the video off of Facebook.
What to do?
LaUgH. OuT. LoUd!!
We learned a lesson and got a GoOd LaUgH at the same time.
Are there things in your life that you would like to try to do, but are afraid you will make a fool of yourself? Do them anyway, unafraid of looking SiLLy. And then be ready to LOL. You will be able to enjoy yourself, your life, and all those silly moments that life sends your way, a whole lot more, when you do.