In order to MOVE our house, we had to change the overall shape so it could travel a little easier :). First, we had to rEmoVe our mudroom/sunroom area. We were bummed because we finished it a few years ago. It felt a little weird tearing it down so soon!
To save time, Doug and I used the jigsaw to cut out a big piece of the wall we were tearing out, picked it up, and then screwed it back together for our new “temporary wall”. We made an opening for the door and viola! Easy afternoon ProJect ;)
My (awesome) Dad helped me rip up the tile and floor from our old mudroom. He was a HUGE help!
Here is a picture of the back of the house. It is prepped and ready. ChEcK!
Yep…that’s right. We had to rip this out too. (tear!) BUT all we had to do is remove the bottom 4 feet of the sheet rock throughout the entire room (so they could put support beams up during the move). I secretly always wanted wainscoting half-way up my office wall anyway, so this was a bLeSsiNg and not a curse, right?!
Next, the basement! We had to remove anything that hung below the floor, so that meant removing the walls…and the stairs. This got a bit MeSsY!
And all the ventilation…luckily my Dad suggested that we mark all of the vents and the floor joists with letters, so it would be eAsiEr to hang back up. Boy was he right! Doug and I were able to get them hung on a Sunday afternoon after the house was on the new foundation! Yeah!
The last major demo project was the front porch. Had to take that off too. Once we were FiNisHed our house was a perfect rectangle, perfect for hitting the road!
Exterior demo CoMpLeTe! Check!
Now all we need are the moving trucks! Come back next Friday to see the house get lifted!
P.S. All Mom’s know how much of a handful it is to watch kids during any type of project. A big thanks to my MOM for watching my kids so Doug, Dad and I could get most of the final demolition accomplished in a weekend!