If you’ve been watching the news the last couple of days you undoubtedly heard the comment Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen made about Ann Romney (the Republican candidate, Mitt’s wife) not working a day in her life. Are you SeRiOuS? A stay-at-home mom of 5 boys not working a day in her life? I will have to admit that makes me a bit indignant. Maybe it’s because I have a DoG in this fight. I’m a stay-at-home mom.
This attack is not about Democrat or Republican, Conservative or Liberal, but rather it is an attack on womanhood. Whether you love or hate the Romneys, there is no denying that motherhood is HaRd WoRk.
I’ve been on both sides – I’ve been a professional working mother and now I’m a stay-at-home mom. And I will have to say I have great ReSpEcT for both.
Let me give you a small sampling of some of the women in my life to whom I tip my hat:
- My OB/GYN whom I am so grateful my daughters will grow up seeing as not only the woman who brought them into this world, but who is also a caring and giving woman in my community. Then there is my dental hygienist; my daughters’ teachers; family & friends who are social workers, doctors, nurses, speech pathologists and teachers. All are excellent RoLe MoDeLs and working moms.
- A MiLiTaRy young mom of a darling toddler who was recently deployed.
- Numerous single mom’s who work their tail off to PrOviDe for themselves and their children. Many of these are former students of mine and my heart goes out to them.
- Working moms who would stay-at-home in a heart beat if they could, but know for the welfare of their family they must work to keep the BoAt AfLoAt.
- And of course, I know many StAy-At-HoMe moms like me.
This discussion is not about whose life is harder. There are pros and cons on both sides. Instead, I think it is about giving GrAcE Grace to the mother who chooses to WORK outside of the home and grace to the mother who chooses to WORK inside the home. We can appreciate the contribution each makes to society. The bottom line is We aRe On The SaMe TeAm!! Enough of the mommy wars!!
Ok, it’s time to get off the soapbox and take a breath!
What do you think? Does this discussion hit a nerve for you like it does me? If so, please share!!